Monday, January 16, 2017

The biggest lie you tell yourself (and it keeps you broke, unhappy, and miserable)

When you want to pursue something, there’s a good chance you’re already doing something else.

Maybe you have a full-time job. Maybe have a pack of kids screaming for more candy. Maybe you have a job, kids, AND a sick relative.

Time is TIGHT. And you’re tired. So, you tell yourself, “I can’t do it now… I don’t have the time…”

And I totally get it.

Despite what these other motivational clowns say, “HUSTLE! SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK! SLEEP 4 HOURS A NIGHT” is a fantasy.

You need rest. You need energy. And sure, you can “tough it,” for a short while, but you can’t do the whole “no sleep” thing for any extended period of time.

That said, there’s also one thing you should consider: you may be lying to yourself about how much time you do or do not have.

I know I do…

AND I KNOW BETTER.

Last year I felt like I didn’t have the time for any fun passion projects. All I did was Work. Eat. Sleep.

Sure, I traveled around the world (and that was a blast), but when I was home, Work. Eat. Sleep.

Business was good. Life was good. But…

Work.

Eat.

Sleep.

And I got tired of it.

I had stuff I wanted to do, but I told myself I didn’t have time for any of it.

Or, at least, that’s what I told myself.

It’s funny how that works, right?

There’s something you want to do for fun… for profit… for any reason whatsoever… and you just don’t do it because you don’t have the time.

But is it really true? Do you REALLY not have the time?

I decided to put it to the test…

Out of sheer necessity.

So…

I got a personal trainer, and started going to the gym again.

(And I lost almost 30 pounds).

I signed up for a standup comedy class.

(And I even went to some open mics under a stage name).

I started doing yoga.

(And I used to think Yoga people were weird).

I started taking guitar lessons.

(Because why not?).

And I kept working.

(We launched two new products at Social Triggers).

The funny part?

I felt like I had no time to do anything…

…but I did.

I HAD PLENTY OF TIME.

So, what was the REAL problem?

Well…

I had stuff I wanted to do, but the truth was, I didn’t really know how to get started.

Let’s use standup comedy as an example…

I’ve thought about doing standup comedy for quite some time. I like making people laugh. I like being the center of attention. And I like writing jokes.

So, standup comedy is a natural fit.

I even went so far as to keeping an Evernote document of things I could eventually turn into standup comedy routines.

Look. Here’s a screenshot of when I made it: 5/17/2013.

And I amassed about 200 jokes in this document.

But I never did anything past put together joke ideas.

WHY?

Well…

Jokes ideas were the easy part.

But what else did I need?

I wasn’t sure. I knew I had to write the joke into a routine. I knew I had to practice them in front of a live audience. But HOW? AND WHERE?

I read books. I talked to comedians. But still. WHAT DO I ACTUALLY DO?

“Ah, I don’t have time for this.”

And there it is.

I don’t have time really is code for I don’t know what I’m supposed to do… and I don’t have time to figure it out.

But when I signed up for a class, everything changed.

After I signed up for a class, I did my first open mic within about 2 weeks.

Now, why am I sharing this example?

Well…

I’m betting this might sound eerily familiar.

You’re here because you want to start (and grow) an online business.

That much I know.

Maybe you want to grow your email list.

Maybe you want to generate more sales.

Maybe you want to start a blog.

It doesn’t matter how.

Just like I had a list of joke ideas, I’m sure you have a list of ideas as well.

But how can you make those into a reality?

In my case, the secret was some guided instruction from an expert.

So…

That’s what I’m going to do for you.

Over the next 2 weeks, I’m going to walk you through a simple way to get started with your online business.

(And if you’ve already got one, I’ll show you how to actually grow it!).

But, for now…

Here’s what I want from you:

I’d like you to leave a comment below.

And please share the #1 thing you’re struggling with when it comes to growing this business.



source http://feeds.socialtriggers.com/~r/SocialTriggers/~3/iCn8J9Z-zm4/

No comments:

Post a Comment